Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The great M&S fashion gamble: Vogue loves Marks' trendy new summer collection. But will its loyal customers?

By Claire Coleman

It's the fashion collection that every glossy magazine, including fashionista bible Vogue, has been salivating over. And it's not from Prada or Versace, but Marks & Spencer.

Style journalists from the likes of Glamour, Elle and Grazia have been excited by the well-priced looks that echo catwalk trends in a wearable way.

But what will Marks' traditional shoppers - for whom comfort, good value and classic style are more important than being 'fashion forward' - make of them?

CORSET DRESS (far left): Dress, £49.50; shoes, £49.50; bag, £19.50. Underwear as outerwear was a trend at the catwalk collections, and this cotton dress echoes Jean Paul Gaultier and Dolce & Gabbana. It's a tight fit - I can't recommend it if you're bigger than a C cup - but slims and elongates the body. A hit, though it's so distinctive everyone will know it's M&S.

NUDE LEATHER SKIRT: Skirt, £99; vest, £8; shoes and cardigan, stylist's own. You can see why this skirt is fawned over by fashionistas. It has a great zip detail at the back and, sitting just on the knee, it's a length that feels sexy rather than frumpy. And the price is fantastic. I'd wear it for a night out or a summer wedding.

GREY LACE JACKET WITH JEANS (far right): Jacket, £89; jeans, £39.50; belt, £15; vest, £8; shoes, £55. The jacket and skinny jeans combo is very Balenciaga and lace is a motif of the season. While I love the jeans and shoes (I never thought I'd say that about M&S), the jacket feels 'mother of the bride'.

'Our classic customer is extremely important to us, but we'd also like to attract a younger customer,' says M&S spokeswoman Jessica Harris.

The nude leather skirt and grey corset dress are two of the most hotly anticipated summer fashion items and they're due to hit stores this week.

The clothes - available in sizes six to 22 - might look stunning on a model, but how do they work in real life on a size ten like me?

In an exclusive preview, I tried on some of the most wanted items. Here's my verdict


PLAYSUIT (far left): Playsuit, £55; shoes £49.50; bag, £18. Playsuits, catsuits and jumpsuits are a young, on-trend look, so I am astounded M&S has bought into it. For this playsuit, you'd need legs up to your armpits. I feel as if I am dressed up as a sexy version of Tom Cruise in Top Gun. Shoes are comfy, though.

PAINT SPLASH DRESS: Dress, £29.50; shoes, £49.50. Never in a million years would I have guessed this was M&S - or that I'd have liked it on. It could be Topshop and even has shades of Miu Miu. The graphic design and draping are bang on trend, and while I feel a little exposed due to the mini length, I can see it working really well over a pair of leggings.

LACE DRESS (far right): Dress, £49.50; bag, £19.50; shoes, stylist's own. Lace, exaggerated shoulders, oversized clutch with neon detail - in theory, this outfit ticks a lot of fashion boxes. But I can't help feeling it's the perfect look for a second marriage at a register office. Maybe it would be more wearable in black. A thumbs down from me.


HAREM PANTS (far left): Jacket, £89; trousers, £45; vest, £8; shoes, £29.50. Though harem pants were all over the catwalks, I was afraid of looking like Eighties rap star MC Hammer. But these are so wearable I can see myself in them this summer instead of jeans. Dressed up with a jacket and heels, they're smart. Just one problem: they crease easily.

KHAKI SHORTS: Jacket, £39.50; shorts, £35; vest, £49.50; shoes, £29.50. The khaki city shorts, which crease a bit too easily, Balenciaga-style denim jacket and sequin vest (that would look just as good with classic black trousers) are great summer staples. I am less taken by the elasticated bandage shoes - I'd prefer nude peep-toes.

NUDE LEATHER DRESS (far right): Dress, £149; belt, £15; shoes, £49.50. Leather is a big look for summer, but I can't understand why. A leather dress? In summer? Nude shades are hot this season, but are tricky to wear: you just have to see if you can or if you can't. I feel too short for this. To carry it off, it would have to sit on, or just above, the knee and would need to fit like a glove.


EMBELLISHED DRESS (left): Dress, £45; shoes, £49. While I like the beaded detail shoes, and the embellished hem gives the dress weight and makes it hang nicely, my issue is the colour. Call it mustard or chartreuse, it is not one that suits everyone. It would look stunning on black girls, but with my olive tones, I look a bit ill.

BLACK DRESS: Dress, £39.50; shoes, £45; bag, £29.50. The lace detail gives a nod to contemporary style, but this classic frock has a bit of an Audrey Hepburn feel. It would make a great addition to your Little Black Dress collection. The OTT Bottega Veneta-meets-Chanel handbag is a bit of a statement and, with the almost matching shoes, lifts the look. Cute, but not too cutesy.


source: dailymail